Monday, November 14, 2011

Giving Thanks

On facebook I've been writing every day what I am thankful for.  I wondered what I should write for today.  I'm really stumped, and I don't want to write I'm thankful for the NetFlix App on my iPad so I can watch my favorite episodes of The Office whenever I want.  I think I will eventually, you know, write that, but I know I haven't run out of real things to be thankful for.

Yesterday I went to church.  I saw what looked like funeral flowers around the alter, and I assumed they were for Veteran's Day.  As mass started, the priest explained that later a vigil for Carlo Eugenio, who made the greatest sacrifice while serving overseas, would be held in the church.  You can find a little more about Carlo here:

Daily Bulletin article about Carlo Eugenio

Well, during mass my little man mistakenly thought it was party time, and although he lasted almost halfway through the mass, we had to take a walk outside.  As we turned toward the front of the church, I saw the hurst, and the honor guard.  The lump in my throat grew.  As we climbed up the stairs to the front of the church (to re-try mass), I saw Carlo's picture.  I think it's something about seeing someone's face, it makes them more than a name.  It hit me, Carlo wasn't just a name, a news story.  I know he was at EHS alumn and a member of my community, but dang.  That's someone's best friend.  That's someone's nephew.  That's someone's brother.  That's someone's son, someone's baby boy.

No mother or father should ever have to bury their child.  That's just not how the world should work.  And to die at war.  There are no words, at least none I can articulate at the moment.

The article above states and my family said today they saw fire trucks, police cars, firemen, policemen, community members, neighbors, etc. standing on the overpasses saluting as the funeral procession traveled along the freeway as it made it's way from the church to the cemetery.  He was only 29.

So tonight I am thankful for you Carlo.  I am thankful for you and your family.  I am thankful for your service to our country and I am forever indebted to you for the sacrifice you have made, so that I can wake up and go to work in peace, so that I can rock my baby to sleep each night, so we can go to the beach, and the park, and on vacations, and not live in a constant state of fear or worry.  So my family can travel safely four hours down the state to come to Thanksgiving, so I can go to the store and buy whatever the hell I want, I don't have to worry about a ration or quality of food that I put in my child's tummy.  Freedom isn't free. Courage isn't the absence of fear, it is acting in spite of it.  Thank you thank you thank you.  to every single individual, who volunteered, dreamed of, was drafted, signed up for our military.  Every single person who thought it was worth it.  Everyone who knew what could happen, but did it anyway, because they had a dream, or wanted to be part of something bigger than themselves, or believed so much in the American dream.  Whatever the reason, it's because of YOU it is possible.

Thank you to our service men and woman.  Thank you to their mothers, fathers, wives, children, aunts, uncles, friends, and relatives, for raising fine people, for supporting them, for being strong for them.

If anyone reads this, please say a prayer or have a moment to reflect on this young man.  Please pray for peace and comfort for his family.  And please pray for all of our servicemen.




1 comment: